Planning Application Replacement Windows.

Pembroke & Nash can help with your planning applications when you are changing / replacing or upgrading your traditional sash or other types of timber windows. We can help get Listed building consent for double glazed sash windows in Grade II listed properties. Like for like replacements or repairs seldom need a planning application but we always recommend that you check first with your local planning office.

Planning Applications Building Regulations Brighton

Planning Permission Replacement Windows. We can offer Planning Application Advice and take care of Planning for Conservation Areas & Listed Buildings.


Listed buildings do not come under “Document L” of the building regulations. Document L has covered the installation of windows since 2002, all windows have to be double glazed and achieve a U value of 1.6 or less (October 2011).

If you live in a conservation area or an area without planning restrictions your windows will be covered by Document L. Repairs do not come under Doc L, neither do part replacements, i.e if you replace a rotten sash then this can be single glazed. If you replace the box frame as well as the sashes then this will need to be double glazed complying with Document L of the building regulation. Please note that building regulations are separate from planning.

If you have the old box frames still intact with uPVC / aluminium windows inserted within them and wish to reinstate the sashes, these do not come under document L as this is part replacement. However we always recommend that you double glaze when reinstating sash windows as the thermal performance is many times that of single glazed windows.

A WINDOW OR DOOR INSTALLATION WITHOUT A FENSA CERTIFICATION  OF BUILDING REGULATIONS COMPLIANCE CAN AFFECT THE SALE OF YOUR PROPERTY. Pembroke & Nash are an MTC / FENSA approved installer. Planning permission is in addition to building regulations.

Do you need Planning permission for replacement Windows?

Window applications for Householders

Planning application Consent is required for changes to windows as they represent a material change to the appearance of a building.

Changes to windows include for instance – replacing modern UPVC / metal / aluminium composite windows with traditional timber windows or vice versa, or alterations from single glazing to double glazing units.

For standard Householders, neither in a Conservation Area, nor in an area restricted by an Article 4 Direction, or in a Listed Building the planning process is relatively simple. You require a Householder planning application form and existing photographs of the windows affected, together with a surveyed schedule showing the window dimensions (including height and width of each window), and an illustration of the method of window opening. In some instances you might also be asked for proposed elevations and section details.

Window applications for Householders within a Conservation Area with an Article 4 Direction

An Article 4 Direction removes ‘Permitted Development’ rights over minor alterations (including replacement of windows and doors) and extensions, meaning a Householder has to apply for planning Consent (submit a Householder planning application). This allows the Council to safeguard the appearance of the Conservation Area or an area affected by an Article 4 Direction. In general this allows any proposed material change to the appearance of the building (particularly but not only to the front elevation), to be refused, unless it can be shown to have a sympathetic or beneficial influence on the character of the area.

This is a slightly more complicated process than above, with scale plans and elevations required to be prepared showing the existing and proposed arrangements, together with a 1:1250 site location plan, a 1:500 block plan, 1:100 plans and elevations, all with a north point and an appropriate scale bar.

Together with the drawings and Householder planning application form, a Design and Access Statement is also required for properties in a Conservation Area, with the following headings to be discussed in detail – Design, Appraisal, If a Listed Building, Access, Consultation. The Statement has to explain design principles and concepts, demonstrate respect of context, discuss access arrangements, outline any consultation comments received (Pre-application Enquiries or discussions of the proposals with a Duty Planning Officer or Conservation Officer).

Window applications for Householders with Listed Buildings

A Listed Building Consent application is required for any material changes to a Listed Building (even the replacement of windows). This is basically the same as the Householder application in a Conservation Area but is called a Listed Building Consent application. As this is the most complicated of the 3 types of application, more detailed drawings and info is required – with existing and proposed arrangements, together with a 1:1250 site location plan, a 1:500 block plan, 1:50 plans and elevations, all with a north point and an appropriate scale bar. Additionally 1:50 sections of affected windows are required (existing and proposed), together with 1:20 architectural details (showing new doors, windows, pilasters, cornices, railings, decorative details, etc.); and 1:1 joinery and moulding details for all new external and internal features. Pembroke & Nash have many examples of double glazed sash windows fitted to listed buildings across Brighton & Hove, Sussex & London.

Together with the drawings and the Listed Building Consent planning application form, a Design and Access Statement is also required, including all the sections described above but also including a section on any special architectural or historically important details relating to physical features or the setting of the building.

Below is an example of a double glazed sash window section drawing for a planning application on a Listed Building in Brighton & Hove, Sussex,

The planning process

Upon completion of the required drawings and information, approval of the details from the client and submission online via the Planning Portal, the planning application can take 10 days to validate / register and be assigned to a planning officer. There is then a period of 21 days advertising when the Council notifies you neighbours and the general public that you have made an application, making them aware of its reference number and giving them the right to object to or to support the application. At the same time as this the other departments are consulted for comments – highways, conservation, trees, etc. After the 21 days and the receipt of the consultation feedback and review of any letters of objection or support received, the Planning Officer will arrange a site visit to familiarise themselves with the site and to check the accuracy of the drawings / info, and take their own site photographs to aid them to write their report. If the Planning Officer requires any further info or revisions to the drawings they will request it from you or your Planning Agent, but only if the further info is minor and only if the planning application is on course for an approval. Any material changes to the proposals would need to be re-advertised for the 21 days, extending the average 9-10 week target decision date. Their recommendation report then goes to their Manager to check and sign off, before a decision is issued, via email and in the post.


Pembroke & Nash have had dozens of successful planning applications (Consent given) in Brighton & Hove, Sussex, also in many of the boroughs across London. Delays due to staff shortage at council offices can be an issue at peak times of the year.

For Architects – We hold a huge selection of section drawings on file, should you be looking for quick turn around in submitting planning applications.

Please contact us for a FREE Survey to advise you on what planning requirements and building regulation need to be implied.

Building Regulation Notes

Building regulations

Just for clarification, you need building regulations approval if:

  • You are replacing the whole of the fixed frame and opening parts or creating new openings for windows or doors that you are replacing external doors with 50 per cent glazing or more. (Please speak to our office for more information if your property is Listed)
  • You don’t normally need building regulations approval if: The work amounts to no more than, for example, replacing broken glass, rotten sashes or rotten sections of the main frame.

The government planning portal:

Brighton & Hove Planning (Local)

Would you like to read some information on double glazing in Listed Building.



We can assist with planning applications for replacing windows & timber sash windows in Brighton & Hove, and all of Sussex.


Also covering Worthing, Hastings, Haywards Heath, Lewes, Arundel, Eastbourne, Horsham.


by Pembrok Nash